0 from 0 votes
Parmesan Risotto with Roasted Shrimp
Creamy risotto, spiked with salty Parmesan and topped with sweet, juicy roasted shrimp. A simple homestyle dish, really. It’s also not difficult.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: pasta, seafood
Servings: 6 people
- 1 lb large raw shrimp
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- .5 tsp paprika
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth 2 quarts
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- .5 cups dry white wine
- 1.5 cups Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves finely chopped and divided
- Arrange rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F. Rinse the shrimp and pat them very dry. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with the paprika and a generous quantity of salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Spread them in an even layer and refrigerate while you prepare the risotto.
- Warm the broth in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- In a separate Dutch oven or wide, deep sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and beginning to brown around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir thoroughly to make sure it is coated with the butter and onions. Cook the rice for 1 to 2 minutes more. Add the wine and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan until the wine has evaporated.
- Add the warm broth one ladle at a time, stirring frequently. Wait to add another ladle until the liquid has been almost completely absorbed by the rice. This gradual addition of liquid is key to getting the rice to release its starch and create its own delicious sauce, so don’t rush this step. If the broth is evaporating very quickly, or the rice is boiling hard, turn the heat down so you just see a gentle simmer and occasional plop. Expect this stage to take about 18 minutes, and to add most of the broth.
- Begin tasting the rice after about 13 minutes to gauge how far it has cooked. The risotto is ready when the rice is still a bit chewy, and the dish has the consistency of thick porridge. In the last 5 minutes of cooking the risotto, put the pan of prepared shrimp in the oven. Roast until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- When the risotto is ready, turn off the heat and stir in the Parmesan and about 1/2 cup of the parsley. Taste and seaon with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately, spreading risotto in pasta bowls and topping with the shrimp and a sprinkle of the remaining parsley.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tags : recipe