0 from 0 votes
Filet Mignon with Sweet Potato Mash
A small quantity of compound butter, seasoned with garlic and herbs, makes a simple but delicious finish for a tender steak. We have rounded out this colorful healthy meal with roasted broccolini and mashed sweet potato—the perfect impressive yet easy dinner for date night-in.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: filet mignon, meat
Servings: 2 people
- 1 tbsp butter slightly softened
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary and/or chives chopped
- 1 small sweet potato (about 8 ounces) peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper divided
- 1/4 tsp salt divided
- 1 bunch broccolini trimmed and halved lengthwise if large
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2-4 ounce filet mignon steaks about 1¼ inches thick
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine butter, garlic and herbs in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add sweet potato, cover and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add milk, 1 teaspoon of the herb butter, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Mash with a large fork or potato masher to desired consistency. Cover and keep warm.
- Toss broccolini with 2 teaspoons oil, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Place the broccolini on one half of a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until beginning to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Pat steaks dry with paper towel and season both sides with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steaks, turning once, until browned on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the broccolini from the oven and stir. Place the seared steaks on the empty half of the baking sheet. Return to the oven and roast until the broccolini has softened and the steaks are cooked to desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer each steak to a plate and top each one with 1 teaspoon of the herb butter. Serve with the broccolini and mashed sweet potato.
Tags : recipe